My master studies was about the attitudes of Mersin University students' towards lesbian and gay individuals in Psychological Counselling and Guidance Department (PCG) at the Mersin University.
My PhD project was an experimental study regarding the group guidance on dealing with homophobia in PCG Department at the Çukurova University. My first post-doc project was a cross-cultural comparative study of lesbian and bisexual women’s internalized heterosexism, and life satisfaction in Belgium and Turkey in Psychology Department at the Université Libre de Bruxelles. My second post-doc project was about intimate partner violence and internalized heterosexism among lesbian and bisexual women in Denmark and Turkey in Psychology Department at the Copenhagen University.
My current project is about intimate partner violence among LGBs in Norway in Psychology Department at the Oslo University. My current research interests include social cure approach to social identity, intimate partner violence, queer of colour and queers` mental health.
- Visiting Scholar in Psychology, Oslo University, Norway, 2020—2021
- Postdoctoral Fellow in Psychology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 2018—2019
- Postdoctoral Fellow in Psychology, Université libre de Bruxelles, Belgium, 2017—2018
- National Ministry of Education Çanakoluk Huzurlu Primary School, Psychological Counsellor and Guidance, 2011—2017
- ZİÇEV School for the Mentally Disabled, Psychological Counsellor and Guidance, 2009—2011
Education and Training
- PhD in Psychological Counselling and Guidance, Çukurova University, Turkey, 2012—2016
- Master in Psychological Counselling and Guidance, Mersin University, Turkey, 2009—2011
- Bachelor in Guidance and Psychological Counseling, Eastern Mediterranean University, Cyprus,2004—2009
- European Association of Social Psychology (EASP)
- International Society of Political Psychology (ISPP)
- Turkish Psychological Counseling and Guidance Association
- Skeiv Verden Oslo & Viken (Board Member)
- Kaos Gay and Lesbian Cultural Researchers and Solidarity Association
- Ummak, Esra; Toplu-Demirtas, Ezgi & Jessen, Reidar Schei (2021). Untangling the Relationship Between Internalized Heterosexism and Psychological Intimate Partner Violence Perpetration: A Comparative Study of Lesbians and Bisexual Women in Turkey and Denmark. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. ISSN 0886-2605. . doi: 10.1177/08862605211004108
- Ummak, Esra; Toplu-Demirtas, Ezgi; Pope, Amber, L. & Moe, Jeffry (2021). The influence of internalized heterosexism on life satisfaction: comparing sexual minority women in Belgium and Turkey. Current Psychology. ISSN 1046-1310. . doi: 10.1007/s12144-021-02068-w
- Kemer, Gulsah; Toplu-Demirtas, Ezgi; Pope, Amber L. & Ummak, Esra (2017). Psychometric properties of the Lesbian Gay, and Bisexual identity scale – Turkish (LGBIS-TR). Journal of Homosexuality. ISSN 0091-8369.
- Ummak, Esra & Bilgin, Mehmet (2017). An Experimental Study Regarding Group Guidance Counseling on Dealing with Homophobia. Current Research in Education. ISSN 2581-4028.